Friday, November 21, 2008

Duck & Cover

Written on March 8, 2008


Bob and I were on the lake this afternoon. So were alot of fishermen (obsessions are funny that way). The day was dark and stormy. Then the clouds blew off and it became bright and sunny. We were many miles south of our boat ramp when the weather changed yet again. dark and stormy once again loomed up on the horizon.

A 90hp outboard seems mighty fast until you need some real speed. As rain lashed us in our faces and lightning tore the sky we streaked for home port. We got there moist but intact. As we pulled the boat out of the water my father called. "There’s a string of bad storms heading right for you" he said " tornadoes and large hail are coming upon you fast!".

All the other boaters must have had similar calls. the lake was alive with bass boats making quick getaways. Bob and I parted ways wishing each other good luck. He headed for Anderson and I back to Waterloo.

The storm and I headed east as fast as we could. I tried to gain some ground on it but there are no straight and fast routes from where I was to where I wanted to be. My father would check in from time to time. He was watching the radar on his tv.

The storm loomed up from behind and to the north of me. The clouds had that sickly green tint that potends a powerful blow. Trying to outmanouvere the storm I veered southeast and eventually found myself in the northen neighborhoods of the city of Greenwood.

I had hoped the worst of the storm would pass north of me. But not so far north that it would be aimed at my parents house where my son was waiting for me. I hoped in vain.

The wind began to whip the rain into horizontal sheets that buffeted my truck. I noticed that the winds were now coming from the south; an odd direction for this storm. Then, up ahead I saw the funnel.

Behind a line of trees in front of me the clouds twisted in the air. no vail of rain blocked my view. The spiraling clouds seemed to move slowly, majestically.

This was not the tight whirlpool shape I had seen on tv. But there was no doubt in my mind what it meant: tornado!

The funnel appeared to be very close and just up the road. I u-turned the truck and headed the way I came. The storm enveloped me. Rain sheeted down, the winds seemed to come from multiple directions at once. Then came the hail.

I have heard of golf-ball sized hail but this was the first I have ever seen. The balls of ice crashed down on the roof and the wind-shield of my truck. I began to worry about the glass breaking in front of me.

I needed cover. It was plain that the truck was not protection enough. I was in a bad storm, possibly with a tornado blasting up behind me. I was in a residential area; no public buildings in sight.

To my left I saw a small, brick house with the lights on. I decided to try for shelter there. I pulled into the drive and scrambled out of the truck and into a carport. Now protected from the hail, I knocked on the glass door in front of me.

And elderly man opened the door. I tried hard not to look like an axe murderer. "Hello, there is a tornado outside and I need shelter, may I come in?" It is hard not to look like an axe murderer when adrenelline is coursing through your bloodstream and the image of an approaching funnel cloud is forefront in your mind.

The gentleman (apparrently nearsighted) invited me in. "This is a strong house and this is the safest room in the house" he told me. I introduced myself and gave them many thanks for taking in this wayfaring stranger. He was Mr. Lowman and he introduced me to his very nice wife, Mrs Lowman (yes, they have first names but my memory only holds so much data).

The storm grew worse outside. the wind howled and the rain appeared to come from many directions at once. Inside it was warm and comfortable. Even when the power flickered off. I sat on the couch across from Mr. and Mrs Lowman and we spoke of my job and his (retired from CPW). As the thunder boomed and crashed we spoke of potatoes and the proper time to plant.
In what seemed no time at all the sky lightened and the shadow of Typhon moved off to the east. I called my father and got an update on the storm system. There was a break between bands of weather. I could make it home if I got moving now.

I thanked the Lowmans for their kindness and they thanked me for the visit. "Anytime, come back anytime" said Mrs. Lowman.

I got back to my truck (which was not battered and dented as I had feared). The drive home was fairly uneventful. Trees had come down but most were small or had fallen to the side of the road. While yards were in disarray not major damage was observed as I drove home. Police cars and power company trucks cruised the roads looking for problems.

I am home now and my family is safe and sound. Looking at the news, it is apparrant that other people around the South were not as fortunate. I am pleased to say, that today I depended upon the kindness of strangers.

No comments: